Thursday, April 13, 2006

Tell Me What's Wrong!!

We had to go to Monroe yesterday, and in the middle of the day Hannah got a fever. At first I think it has to be teething, so I give her Tylenol and kind of go on. She usually only takes one nap a day, but she had already taken 2 long naps by 1:00. I started to get a little worried, but I knew I had to get back to Mandeville. After her second nap, she woke up and played and she felt cooler so I felt better.

So around 2:30 we get in the car to go home. She sleeps most of the way only waking up briefly to let out a cry. She usually doesn't sleep that much in the car. So, we make it home and I get her out of the car and she is burning up. She has been on Tylenol every four hours, so I don't think she should have been that hot. I run in and take her temp. It was 102, which is not too bad for a baby, but still not normal. She keeps laying on me and not being herself. Then I wonder, what is wrong with my baby. Her nose is running, but it is clear, she is not screaming like she is in pain teething and she is not grabbing her ears. WHAT IS WRONG!?!?!?

I give her Tylenol and she perks up a little after it takes effect, so I feel a little better again. After about an hour, I take her temp again to see if it has broken any. It reads 101.9, so I think GREAT, it has broked 2 tenths of a degree. So I do as any confused mother does, I call in the artillery. I call my mom for advise and I call my sister, each of them is just as baffled. I then look towards the books, which I have really given up because they always make me feel like I am doing something wrong! And sure enough it gives me more great news, since I take her temp under her arm I have to add a degree, which gives Hannah a temp of 103!

Finally she goes to bed and she finally starts to sweat. I feel better once again because I think it is finally breaking. She wakes up at 3 a.m. and I take her temp again, it reads 100 (adding a degree). I feel a little relieved because it has broken a bit. I feed her and put her back to bed.

In the morning we wake up and I again take her temp. It now reads 96, and I am like geese kid you take it to extremes! She is acting normal and playing around, so I feel better and relieved.

I promise all of this boring rambling has a point!

On the way to work I am telling my sister this story and I realize - how nice will it be when she can say, "Mom my stomach hurts and Mom my ears hurt." Then I can stop this guessing game of, what is wrong with the baby today?

But as I am saying this, I also realize as soon as she can say these things, she will also be able to say No Mom and I don't like you and all the other wonderful things she will learn to say her wonderful Mother!

I guess you take the good with the bad, and it will be nice to stop guessing what it wrong because I am still baffled! We will see how today goes. So far so good! No calls from the Daycare.

1 comment:

BASSakward Tales said...

hannah is being a baby. temps usually go up in the afternoon. my pediatrician used to call jacob "scoop" b/c he brought everything home from daycare. tylenol is a wonderful thing. also try a tepid bath. motherhood is wonderful isn't it? love ya