Friday, June 02, 2006

First Melt Down

I alway knew it would come, but I didn't think it would be in the middle of the mall and so quickly. On Monday we went to the mall with my sister and her daughter. Hannah was doing fine just hanging out in her stroller, but on the way out of Dillard's she starts crying. Usually she will find her thumb and quiet down pretty quick, but this time was different.

She didn't calm down, so I picked her up. She was fine long enough to get out of Dillard's. Then she started jumping out of my arms like she wanted to get down and walk. I give in and put her down to walk. She walks about a minute, then we lose it. She goes totally limp and falls on the ground crying. I try to pick her up and she starts jumping out of my arms like she wants to get down. I put her down and she goes limp again just screaming. This happened probably one more time before I just held her and let her get it out.

We went into a store to find my sister, and she got quiet for a minute. Then two nice ladies (two separate times) come to tell her how cute she is, and she looks at them and screams! I mean, what do you say. "Sorry, it's not you, but then again she was fine until you came over here!"

We then go to get lunch and I just put her in her stroller. I'm not wonder woman. I can't possibly carry the tray and her and push a stroller. She is crying of course, and the poor woman in front of us was really pregnant. I bet Hannah made her rethink her decision to have a child!

Eventually, she got quiet and we made it through, but it was the first time I felt that, "why can't she control her child" or "what a horrible mother" look coming from all around. I know all of my fellow mother's around were just rooting me on and hoping I would just stay strong and not give in, but it was still a little embarrassing.

I know this was our first big one and will definitely not be our last, so I guess this is the point were our parents laugh and say payback! Well, there you go. Payback really stinks. Why can't we reverse the way we go through life? I mean, start as adults and go to children. I think we would be better children! Just a thought to ponder on for the weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My what a spirited child. I think she is kin to her mom. :-)