Monday, May 15, 2006

Pretty In Pink

I totally underestimate my child most of the time. Lately she has been getting into drawers, baskets and bags and pulling out everything inside. She never really tampers with the stuff, she just pulls it out and throws it to the side. She may put it back in the bag or wherever she got it from, but most of the time it just stays on the floor for me to pick up later.

I think God was preparing me for this incident that I am about to tell. On Sunday, I was getting ready to go to my brother's for Mother's Day. Hannah was in my room playing with the usual stuff. By stuff I mean my make-up bag and clothes in the drawers. (I bet you can see where this is going.) I had on my TV, and she was really into this one show. Things were quiet, which should have been my first sign, but I went on getting ready. At that moment I realize how strangely quiet it is, and I look into my room. Hannah had found my lipstick tube and had it everywhere. It covered her, my hair dryer, the rest of my makeup, a few clothes and, yes, my carpet. Did I mention that I just got new carpet about 3 weeks ago.

So, why did God prepare me for this incident. A couple of days before, I was looking in my cabinet under the sink of cleaning supplies, and I saw Woolite carpet cleaner. I thought to myself, "Wow, didn't know I had that, but good to know!"

Well, I pick up Hannah and put her in the bathroom. I strip her down and kill a couple of washclothes trying to get the lipstick off of her. I run downstairs and head straight for the Woolite. It works like a dream. Of course, I was on the floor for a while scrubbing with all of my might, but it got out!

I know it is totally my fault, which makes it harder to accept. But I just need to stop underestimating how inquisitive my daughter is. I guess we live and learn. I would just rather not learn on my new carpet!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember when a 2 year old "inquisitive" little girl pulled a chair up to the kitchen counter, climbed up, and proceeded to eat the Halloween witch cake I had spent 3 hours decorating for her older sister's kindergarten party. I remember how shocked I felt and then upset. Not at my little hungry daughter, but myself for underestimating her ability and determination and putting that cake in a "safe" place. My little girl was only trying her wings and exploring. And that is what they all do as they grow up. I wish I could tell you this will be the last time you will be surprised by Hannah. But you have only just begun!

Thanks for a wonderful Mother's Day. I love you, both!